Monday, August 24, 2015

Banana Bran Muffins

One part of cooking that I'd like to improve is the ability to make creative use of ingredients we already have on hand. Over the past few days, I've had a bunch of bananas ripening on our kitchen counter, and have been thinking about ways to use them.  So while shopping at the Grand Antique Mall last week, I pounced on this recipe book:


The book was printed in 1950 by the Home Economics Department of the United Fruit Company, now known as Chiquita Brands International. It includes dozens of recipes featuring bananas at varying stages of ripeness. Because mine were nearly rotten at this point, I flipped to the "fully ripe" section of the book, and selected this recipe for Banana Bran Muffins.


This time I did the cooking while Taylor took the pictures. Hey, I'm growing up!


Banana Bran Muffins
1 cup sifted flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup bran
1 egg, well-beaten
2 tablespoons sour milk or buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted shortening or salad oil
2 cups thinly sliced, ripe bananas (3-4 bananas)

1) Sift together flour, soda, salt, and sugar into mixing bowl. Add bran and mix well.
(Corgi-shaped helper optional.)


2) Combine egg, milk, shortening, and bananas. Add to dry ingredients, mixing only enough to dampen all flour.
3) Turn into well-greased muffin pans.


4) Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees Fahrenheit) for 30-35 minutes, or until muffins are done. Makes 8 large or 16 small muffins.


I filled each muffin cup all the way to the top, so the recipe yielded 12 muffins for me. After about 32 minutes, a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins came out clean, and the muffins were nicely golden brown.

There are few things better than a warm muffin topped with melting butter. These muffins are solid--they are perfectly moist, and pack just enough banana without being too sweet. They are a tasty, filling choice for breakfast or a snack. I'm sure they'll make another appearance around here soon.


So there you have it! A great use for overly-ripe bananas. And bran. Oh, and aren't these pictures just lovely? I think I'll keep this photographer around.

--------------------------------- 

P.S. Don't forget! Vote for your favorite "popular" peanut butter sandwich recipe by Wednesday, August 26th and I'll make it for Taylor to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment