Friday, August 14, 2015

To the Home Economists and Engineers

Hey there! You're here! And by here, I mean the post-war Cape Cod kitchen of a 20-something woman who still doesn't know her way around a frying pan. Naturally.

Sure, I can handle the basics--fried eggs, grilled cheese, pancakes--but cooking a complete, age-appropriate meal with real ingredients? Yeah, that's another story. It isn't that I can't read recipes. The 'reading' isn't the problem; it's the 'adhering to' and occasional 'improvising with' that's so intimidating. Good recipes always seem to have complex steps, tiny pictures, and lots of obscure ingredients. Would you agree? To put it simply, cooking has always been overwhelming, and I've never really bothered to learn.

Until now! I've decided that enough is enough--it's time to roll up my sleeves, don my apron, and get my hands dirty. But where to begin?

Fortunately, I didn't have to look far for inspiration:


I found this gem at the Tri-State Antique Market in Lawrenceburg a few weekends ago. Published by Frigidaire in the 1940s, this booklet was designed with dozens of practical tips to maximize meager food rations and make efficient use of limited refrigerator space during wartime.

Take a look at the Foreword:


Shopping is done less frequently. Food for the weekend is purchased as early as Wednesday. People are buying 'variety meats' they never used before. Preparing foods they used to buy in cans. Making greater use of leftovers.

I don't know about you, but fast forward 70 years or so, and that still pretty much describes our household:
Grocery shopping less often? Check.
Storing food longer? Check.
Trying new ingredients? Check.
Preparing more fresh food? Check.
Using leftovers to help stretch our food budget? Check.

In addition to featuring some brilliant bits of nation-unifying rhetoric, this booklet showcases real advice from 'home economists, engineers, and service experts' to help folks do more with less. And you know what? I find that kind of ingenuity in the kitchen inspiring. For the first time, I'm EAGER to cook something! And for that, I dedicate this blog to those mid-century heroes who literally wrote the book(s) on simple, creative cooking. Thanks for the spark.

I also dedicate this blog to the mid-century aficionados out there. I share your admiration of solid wood furniture, your appreciation of original advertisements. What can I say? We're old souls.

And I dedicate this blog to you, dear friend. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll join me as I uncover some hidden treasures right here in my kitchen.

Engineering meets Home Ec? Heck yeah, this is gonna be good.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it is! So excited to see what else is in that book!

    ReplyDelete