Monday, October 5, 2015

Banana Nut Tea Bread

I'm not sure there's anything better than a warm slice of banana bread on a chilly fall morning. If you're still looking for the perfect recipe for banana bread, then look no further! I've got you covered.


Banana Nut Tea Bread
1 3/4 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, well-beaten
1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 bananas)

1) Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. No, I didn't spill flour on Sheila's head. She just looks like that.


2) Beat shortening until creamy in mixing bowl. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well.



3) Add flour mixture alternately with bananas, a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts to mixture (optional).

I've got to say, recipes like these are made so much better with a stand mixer. Never let 'em see you sweat, that's what I almost never say.

And bananas help, too. In fact, Chiquita Banana says: "Banana helps keep bread fresh and moist!" In other words, the bananas are what makes this bread so a-peel-ing.

Haha! Banana joke for the win!


4) Turn into a well-greased bread pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3 inches) and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) about 1 hour 10 minutes or until bread is done. Makes 1 loaf.


I've made many loaves of banana bread in my short Millennial/Gen Y existence. It's one of my more common culinary attempts, and, even pre-blog, almost all of them have turned out just fine. Mild banana flavor, moderate moisture, you know--typical banana bread. But this recipe really takes the cake....er...bread? (What's the expression here?) It's flavorful and soft and moist, with a perfect golden crust, which is probably due to all of the unhealthy stuff, like shortening and sugar, but I don't care about that. There's fruit in the name, and it comforts me in times of cold weather. Bread will keep us together.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm! Looks good! Would you be willing to...."split" it with us?

    I'll let myself out.

    ReplyDelete