Monday, September 28, 2015

Joan's Apple Cake

Saturday was a special day: Taylor's parents' pre-30th anniversary celebration AND Johnny Appleseed's birthday in the same day! To mark the occasion, I thought I'd make an apple cake using a recipe from the Ohio Apple Marketing Program.


When I texted my mother-in-law Stacy with the idea, she asked me a life-changing question: "Do you have Joan's apple cake recipe?"

Taylor's mamaw Joan lives in Memphis and is one of the kindest, sweetest ladies you'll ever meet. Oh, and her apple cake is legendary. Stacy emailed me the recipe, and I swapped out my generic brochure recipe for a family tradition dating back at least three generations. Lucky for you, nothing about this recipe is secret or proprietary (or so I've been told), so I can share it with you!

Joan's Apple Cake

3 cups diced apples
1 cup Wesson oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4-1/2 cup milk
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

1) Pare and dice 3 cups of apples. How many apples are in a cup? I wasn't sure, so I just started peeling. And peeling. And peeling. I peeled about seven apples. Turns out that was the perfect amount.

  
Then I recruited my food processor to help speed things up a bit.


2) Mix the oil, sugar, eggs, and milk in a large bowl. 



Did you notice that this recipe specifically calls for Wesson vegetable oil? And that I'm actually using Wesson vegetable oil? I knew it wouldn't really make a difference in taste or quality to use a different brand of vegetable oil, but I didn't want to take any chances with Mamaw's special recipe. I've never made this cake before, and the bar has been set pretty high. So when you have the chance to stack a few cards in your favor, you take it. Thank you, Wesson!


3) Next, sift together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.


4) Combine wet and dry ingredients, then add apples and nuts (optional). Mix well.
Corgi supervision also optional.


While we're stirring, did you notice my apron? It was handmade by my aunt Elaine and given to me at my wedding shower 5.5 years ago. It's a cool design--it's all one piece with no straps, so you put it on by looping the arm holes together, slipping them over your head, and then poking your arms through the sides. Because one can never have enough aprons, my friend Katelyn recently helped me make another apron that's reversible with more of an A-line style. Once I finish the last few (hundred) hand stitches, it will be ready to make its blog debut!

Okay back to the apple cake--almost finished!

5) Bake in a greased pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes to one hour. 


I set the timer for 45 minutes and tested the center with a toothpick. It needed another five minutes or so, but was ready just in time to pack the car and head over to Mitch and Stacy's for dinner. A few hours later, after dinner and conversation and endless Corgi-watching entertainment, it was time for dessert. It was a delicious moment of truth! Even with all of the sugar and oil in this recipe, the cake isn't overly sweet. It's got just the right balance of flavors, and is moist and warm and quite comforting on a cool fall evening. In the Wessels family, the cake is customarily served with a dollop of cool whip, a scoop of vanilla ice cream (that's how we had it), or just plain on its own.

Taylor wanted to try out a cinnamon-sugar frosting on top, so we ventured into new territory with that interpretation, too. The glaze was a nice touch, but the cake is good enough without it! I had it plain for breakfast today.


Joan's apple cake is a timeless classic, made even sweeter by the love and joy with which it is served. Handed down from generation to generation, recipes are symbols of the transcendent power of family. Dishes, aprons, and lessons shared in the kitchen give us a sense of identity and belonging; they help us find our way home, wherever that may be. Cooking traditions keep us together, and I am so honored to be a new keeper of this special recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment