Saturday, January 2, 2016

Cottage Cheese Kolacky

If you've been following along at home, then I'm guessing you've got a lot of cottage cheese leftover from when you attempted these recipes. So if you're looking for a way to use it up before it turns, might I suggest this unique recipe for Cottage Cheese Kolacky.


I wasn't familiar with this dessert and there was no photo in the cookbook, so I did a little research. Kolacky is the plural form of Kolach, a kind of sweet wedding pastry that originated in Central Europe and is popular among Czech-American communities. The dough is cut into a circle shape, filled with a dollop of jam or pulped fruit, folded over along the edges, and baked in the oven. Although I'd never made the original, this variation seemed simple enough. You know I'm game for anything that features cottage cheese!


Cottage Cheese Kolacky
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
Stewed dried fruit and/or preserves

1) Cream together butter and cottage cheese. Sift together flour and salt; mix into butter-cheese mixture thoroughly. 



2) Chill several hours, or overnight. Roll out 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured board.


The cottage cheese, though manna from above, kept sticking to everything. No matter how much extra flour I added to the dough, it mercilessly clung to the rolling pin and counter, making this recipe painstakingly slow to execute. I'm happy to report that since making these kolacky, I've acquired a pastry frame, cloth, and rolling pin cover to prevent the dough from sticking quite so much. 

3) Cut into 2 or 3 inch squares or circles and place a small amount of fruit or preserves on each.



This was a delicate operation. Too big of a dollop resulted in leaky kolacky, and too little resulted in bland kolacky. As you'll see in later pictures, I don't think I ever got the balance quite right.

4) Fold over and seal edges. Bake 15-20 minutes.



I wasn't quite sure how exactly to fold the dough, so I consulted some images on wikipedia. From one picture, it looks like you're supposed to roll the dough around the edge, leaving the center preserves exposed. And then in another picture, it looks like you're supposed to pinch the edges together into a pocket for the preserves. Despite the dough's excessive stickiness on the rolling pin, I had a hard time keeping the edges together, so this was the best I could do. My kolacky ended up resembling little half moons, like empanadas. We're very multicultural here in my kitchen.

I put the pan in the oven and baked for about 18 minutes until the dough turned crispy and golden brown and the preserves oozed out. The little jam massacre was still tasty, though, with the baked preserves resembling something like fruit leather. A bonus dessert!


5) Sprinkle with confectioners sugar, if desired.



Just so we're clear, there is no 'if' in this statement. Confectioners sugar is always "desired." Okay?

Maybe it's just me, but don't these look a little like emojis? Like the kind that you make to say "I'm kidding!" A la :-P? Anyone?


I'll tell you what, though, these kolacky aren't kidding around when it comes to taste. They were crispy and flaky with the perfect balance of sweetness from the preserves. Like mini pies on the plate. Please note that unlike our last few cottage cheese dishes, this really is the perfect party food--a hit among kids and adults, alike!

You should also note that this recipe yields a LOT of dough, enough to make 4-5 dozen kolacky if you're dedicated. I was too frustrated with the stickiness of the dough to persevere beyond about two dozen, but now that I have more special pastry tools at my disposal, I think I could go the distance next time. Game on, future pastries! 

2 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! (I mean, with two sticks of butter, how can they not be?) And yes, totally like little emojis!

    ReplyDelete