Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Apple-Pork Steaks

Let's think of all the things we like to eat with apples. Oatmeal? (Check out my last post!) Sausage and eggs? (You betcha!) Pork steak? (Uhh...maybe?)



With the help of the Homemaker's Meat Recipe Book (1948-49), we can find out! You grab the apples, and I'll get the pork steaks.

Okay, what's a pork steak? I didn't know the difference between a pork steak and a pork chop, so I consulted the leading experts--the National Pork Board's website and Taylor's brain--to learn more. Here's what I learned:

"Blade steaks (also called pork steaks) are cut from the pork shoulder and contain the blade bone. Blade steaks are flavorful like roasts because they are rich in marbling, which keeps them tender during cooking. Blade steak is a popular, quick-cooking cut for grilling.

"Pork chops are the most popular cut from the pork loin, which is the strip of meat that runs from the pig’s hip to shoulder. Depending on where they originate, pork chops can be found under a variety of names, including loin, rib, sirloin, top loin and blade chops."

Taylor corroborated this account. He added that pork arm or blade steaks would have been more commonly available to WWII and post-war consumers, as higher-quality cuts of meat, like pork chops, would have been rationed to the troops.

Got it, let's make some meat!


Apple-Pork Steaks
4 pork arm or blade steaks
2 tablespoons lard or drippings
2 stalks celery
2 tart apples, unpeeled
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons enriched flour
2 tablespoons water

1) Brown pork steaks in lard or drippings.
After all that explanation, I decided to just buy pork chops because they didn't seem all that different and that's what I could quickly find in the meat section of the grocery store in 2015. Maybe next time I'll visit a butcher in 1948.

I also didn't have lard or drippings on hand, so I just used a little olive oil to brown my pork chops over medium-high heat. It worked just fine.

This is a big deal for me--adapting the recipe, making it work. Pre-blog, I would have given up on this recipe after reading the unfamiliar title. And yet, here we are, chipping away at the meat ceiling, one recipe at a time.


2) Cut celery in 2-inch lengths and apples in eighths.
While the pork chops browned in the pan, I cut my celery and granny smith apples. This step is best summarized by the words 'crunchy' and 'green.'


3) Place over pork steaks and add vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook slowly for 45 minutes.
This is what it means to braise something--first you lightly fry it, then you let it stew slowly in a closed pan. I learned that! Braise the roof!


4) When done, remove steaks and thicken gravy with flour mixed with 2 tablespoons water. Stir constantly, allowing to boil vigorously for 3 minutes.
About 45 minutes later, the apples and celery had reduced to a chunky applesauce-like mixture. I took out the pork chops and mixed the flour and water into the "gravy."

5) Serve over pork steaks. 4 servings. 
I hesitate to show the finished plate because it looks kind of bland and gross in the picture. Don't let looks deceive you! (Sidenote: I didn't realize in starting this blog I'd need to learn the art of cooking and photography.)


I'm not much of a carnivore, but overall I liked this dish. I made couscous as a side, and the whole thing was ready in under an hour. The pork chops were moist and tender, and the gravy was hot and flavorful, though a tad on the tart side. Next time I'd try it with a slightly sweeter apple, I think. Go easy with the ladle to keep the gravy from overpowering the pork.

And don't forget to add pork steak to your list of apple-friendly foods!

2 comments: