Saturday, September 5, 2015

Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwich

It's been about two weeks since I opened my Peanut Butter Sandwich poll. If you recall, the agreement was that Taylor would eat whatever sandwich received the highest number of votes. I bet you've been dying to know the winner.

Well, wait no longer. The winning PB combo is.......


Peanut butter and bacon!

In a close second was peanut butter and cream cheese, followed by peanut butter and jelly, and a rogue fourth place vote for peanut butter and nutella. Still, bacon came out on top, so let's get to it!


Peanut butter and bacon sandwich
Blend 1/2 cup peanut butter with 1/4 cup cooked minced bacon. Makes 3 full-sized sandwiches.

Sounds simple enough! Clearly the biggest task in this exercise would be cooking and mincing the bacon. I've made bacon a handful of times, and it's pretty easy. I put a few slices in the pan, turned up the heat to medium-high, and let the bacon do its thing.


Once the bacon was extra crispy, I patted it dry with a paper towel and chopped it up into tiny little pieces.


Then I folded the minced bacon into the peanut butter, and spread the mixture onto a couple of slices of toast.


And there you have it! A peanut butter and bacon sandwich. I poured a glass of milk and set out my test kitchen creation for Taylor. Sheila was on standby.


Like a good sport, Taylor took a big bite...


 ...carefully considered it....


...took a swig of milk...


...and asked me, "why are we doing this again?"


I reminded him that peanuts are good for him and that he should find more creative ways to eat them, specifically citing this blurb from Powerlifting Peanut in the National Peanut Council cookbook:


Look what he gets in a handful of peanuts:
More protein than a serving of beefsteak
More iron that a serving of spinach
More B Complex vitamins than a serving of oatmeal
More niacin than 5 slices of enriched bread
More calories than a big dish of ice cream.

That last one isn't so much a selling point for me, but otherwise, wow, go peanuts! That's impressive!

After a few more bites, I asked Taylor what he thought of the sandwich. His review: "It's dry, crunchy, and I can't really taste the bacon." I took a taste and would probably add "super salty" to that description, but overall, not bad. I think we were both surprised that the recipe called for the bacon to be minced. Taylor pointed out we could have achieved a similar taste and texture (without the cholesterol) if we'd just swapped the bacon for some rice krispies. But where's the fun in that? Bacon.4.Life.

2 comments:

  1. This whole post is amazing.

    Well done, pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! You're my original Peanut! And I think it's Taylor's bright orange t-shirt and overly-expressive face that make this post shine.

      Delete