Friday, September 11, 2015

Cheese-Apple-Sausage Pie

If you've been a loyal reader around here, you've probably noticed that I tend to gravitate toward easy recipes for bread-based dishes like sandwiches and desserts. Well, all that's about to change with this Cheese-Apple-Sausage Pie!


With fall just around the corner, I thought it was time to dip into some apple recipes. And to try cooking meat. (No, that peanut butter and bacon recipe doesn't really count.) Today's recipe allows me to meet both of those goals!


The recipe comes from an Ohio Apple Marketing Program cookbook I picked up a few weeks ago. It doesn't have a date on it, but judging by what I've read (and the hairstyles) I'd say it's vintage 70s or 80s. This is a little outside my post-WWII range, but Johnny Appleseed's birthday is a few weeks away, and we could all use more apple recipes in our lives right about now.


As you can see in the photo below, this particular brochure was distributed by A&M Farm in Midland, Ohio, an orchard still in business only about an hour northeast of Cincinnati. Their Facebook page shows that apple-picking season begins in a couple of weeks! Grab your baskets, people.


Let's get back to the recipe! Presenting:

Cheese-Apple-Sausage Pie
Serves 6 (dinner)
Serves 10 (appetizer)

1 pkg pie crust mix
2 cups grated Swiss cheese
5 pre-cooked sausages, cut 1/4"
2 medium apples, pared, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
4 eggs
1 tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tbsp melted butter

1) Saute sausages, drain. 

2) Prepare pie crust as package directs. Line a 10" pie or tart pan with pie crust. Flute edges.
(I cheated on this part--I used a pre-made pie crust from the store. Baby steps.)

3) Layer cheese, apples, onion, and sausage in pastry lined pan.



4) Beat eggs, milk, cream, flour, salt, and butter until well-mixed. Pour over layered ingredients.

(Hmm, that's funny. I didn't notice any salt in the recipe. Also, my pie crusts must have been too small because I had more than enough ingredients and mixture for two of these things, which I hadn't planned on, but it worked out just fine. Huzzah for minor improvisation!)


5) Bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, until top is puffy and golden. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.


Ta-da! It's a pie! Two pies, in fact! Or quiches? Anyway, they turned out pretty well. I realized once they were in the oven that I had forgotten to peel the apples, but the slices were thin enough that it wasn't too disastrous. Next time, I'll remember! I'll also remember that this recipe yields enough for two pies, which is quite convenient because more is better. We've been eating this for breakfast, lunch, second lunch, and dinner. Because who would ever want to eat anything but breakfast food? And apples? It's fall, y'all!

2 comments: